Thursday 13 August 2015

Exfoliating Acids: What and Why?

I have always seriously loved exfoliating, so when I heard about acid toners I just had to get my hands on a few (yes I know Liquid Gold is an overnight treatment not a toner, but it contains acid so bear with). Many, many months later my skin is still benefiting hugely from these liquids and pads so I thought I would run through my favourites.



Out of them all the First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads are my ultimate favourite as they contain a variety of acids which seem to do wonders for my skin. Firstly, they come in a pack of 60 (or 28) pre-soaked pads for only £22, so you don't even have to bother with a separate cotton pad. These are excellent for rushy mornings or acid beginners as they are just so easy to use. In terms of acid content these pads contain Glycolic and Latic acid. The first can be found in all three of these products as it is great at removing dead skin skin cells so your skin looks brighter, softer and resurfaced. The latter also helps with skin resurfacing but it is slightly gentler on the skin than Glycolic. These pads also contains a small amount of Hyaluronic acid, which is well know for its hydrating properties, making these pads gentle and not striping to the skin.

Pixi Glow Tonic is the best value of the three, priced at £18 for 250ml and with 5% Glycolic acid it still packs enough punch. Sure neither of these two will give you the result of a peel, but they have made a noticeable difference to my skin and are gentle enough to use on a regular basis. Where the above focuses on gentle exfoliation and a little hydration to balance the skin, Glow Tonic contains hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) which can be uses to prevent and heal spots. Although it is not a strong as Salycilc acid for acne, it is known for it's anti-inflammatory properties and is great for keeping small breakouts at bay. I personally don't like to use products containing Salicylic acid all over my face, instead I use it as a topical spot treatment, so Glow Tonic is perfect. But if you have acne or are very spot-prone look for exfoliants with this acid. Glow Tonic is a lovely exfoliant and although stronger than the Radiance Pads, I have had no irritation and much brighter looking skin,

Although not technically a toner, I thought I would include Alpha H Liquid Gold as it is an overnight treatment packed with Glycolic acid. My first point would be that this product does contain alcohol, so if that irritates your skin I would stick to ones more like the two I have just mentioned. First and foremost it is an exfoliatant, and with 5-10% Glycoloic acid (varies by website) it feels the strongest of the three, but you really do see overnight results. Dead and dull skin cells are removed and my skin just looks so much better in the morning, imperfections are reduced and the texture of my skin is softened. Yes, there is a slight tingle on application, but not painfully so. I use it after cleansing in the evening, and if my skin is feeling a little sensitive I will follow with a light moisturiser, if not on its own gives better results.

Do you have any exfoliating acid recommendations?

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I loved this post as I'm a bit obsessed with AHAs and haven't touched a traditional face scrub since discovering them :) I love the Pixi Glow Tonic but when I'm travelling I switch to a smaller tub of the FAB pads as they're so handy! Liquid Gold is next on my wish list xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Liquid Gold is so good for instant results xx

      Delete

© Beaut Honesty. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig